NYU’s Stern School of Business, one of the country’s top business schools, invites talented scholars who are underrepresented in our academic community and who are completing their PhD in 2021 to apply to participate in our inaugural Diverse Pathways in Academia, to take place January 23 and 24, 2020. This all-expense paid trip to New York City will provide psychology and sociology doctoral students with insight and guidance on pursuing a career as a business school faculty member. Participants will come out of the program better prepared to enter and navigate the faculty job market, and will learn about business school as an academic option.
Many of our faculty members hold doctorates in fields such as psychology, sociology, statistics, mathematics, computer science and other non-business subjects. They have found a stimulating and satisfying academic community at Stern. For example, psychologists and sociologists contribute findings of great relevance and importance to the study and practice of management by conducting research on topics such as identity, emotions, groups, diversity, judgment and decision making, person perception, and a wide range of other topics. Others, specialists in judgement and decision making, cognitive psychology and social psychology, use their knowledge and training for research on marketing, including consumer behavior and decision-making.
The event will include presentations and panels by faculty members, deans and administrators, as well as networking opportunities. Diverse Pathways in Academia participants will have the opportunity to:
- Learn how their fields of study can be applied to business scholarship;
- Learn about the scholarly life of the business school faculty;
- Learn best practices to prepare for the faculty recruitment, application, interview and selection process;
- Learn best practices for cultivating job prospects, how to negotiate job offers, and how to decide what position is right for you; and
- Network formally and informally with Stern faculty and graduate students working in areas related to program participants’ respective fields of study. Participants will have an opportunity to discuss their current and future research interests with faculty mentors and to receive guidance on the potential fit between their interests and business school environments
For Diverse Pathways in Academia 2020, we invite current doctoral students to apply who are:
- In their penultimate year and are on track to complete their dissertation by August, 2021 in basic social science disciplines such as psychology and sociology.
- Students from historically underrepresented groups who are preparing for academic careers in fields represented among Stern’s faculty, especially psychology and sociology.
- Historically underrepresented groups include students of African American, Hispanic/Latinx and Latin American, American Indian, or Alaskan Native descent, and others who are underrepresented and underserved in business schools.
- Able to commit to travel (all expenses paid) to New York City for the January 23 and 24, 2020 event.
The application is available here. All information is available on the program website.
Deadline to apply: October 11, 2019
Selection notification: December 1, 2019
Event: January 23 and 24, 2020