Stony Brook University: Provost Office: College of Arts & Sciences: Sociology
Stony Brook, NY
Dec 10, 2021
Jan 24, 2022 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time
APPLY HERE THROUGH INTERFOLIO
The Department of Sociology at Stony Brook University seeks a Chair to serve as the intellectual leader of the department, facilitating a positive environment for teaching, scholarship, and service to the college and the university. This individual will continue the Department’s tradition of excellence in research and teaching. The Sociology Department possesses strengths in many areas and is renowned for its focus on global phenomena and their connection to national dynamics. It also has a large undergraduate major, one of the most popular minors on campus (in Health and Society), and a robust and nationally-recognized doctoral program.
The search is open with regard to methodological specialization; we welcome scholars with qualitative (e.g., ethnographic, archival) and/or quantitative (e.g., statistical or big data) skills. We are, however, particularly interested in scholars whose research overlaps with one or more of the Department’s strengths, including computational social science, environment, global and public health, race and ethnicity, international development, inequality, politics, and culture. The candidate should have at least two years of administrative experience. We welcome applications from Advanced Associates (at least three years post-tenure or have extraordinary leadership accomplishments warranting consideration) and Full Professors. We especially invite applications from women and under-represented minority candidates.
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess a minimum of two years of administrative experience at the Departmental or College level
- Be ready to serve at least one three-year term as Chair
- Have a demonstrated track-record of publication in nationally or internationally-prominent venues within Sociology, as well as a clear pathway to continued excellence in the field
- Contribute to diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in the Department and University
● PhD in Sociology (required for all tenure stream hires in the department; Sociology is a field where PhDs in associated fields are rarely relevant)
● Advanced Associate or Full Professor (this individual will need to chair the department. Only Advanced Associate and Full Professors do this kind of service)
● 2-3 years of experience in faculty leadership (Because this person will chair the department, they need to have some previous experience with academic administration)
● Demonstrated record of a productive research agenda (A department chair should set an example of a robust research agenda at any R01/AAU institution)
● Research/teaching complements existing strengths in Sociology (Although the search committee will welcome applicants working in a range of methodologies and areas, a candidate whose teaching and research complement an existing department strength can contribute to core needs, such as to the minor in Health and Society)
● Evidence of or potential for excellence in teaching (A department chair is responsible for overseeing the department’s teaching mission, and an educator with a record of excellence is likely to take this duty seriously)
● Record of efforts on DEI (Sociology, like CAS, has a strong commitment to DEI and the department chair will oversee future hiring, curricular changes, and initiatives, which should reflect this value)
Requested Application Materials:
1) State employment application
2) Cover letter
3) Curriculum Vitae
4) Research Statement
5) Teaching Statement
6) Diversity Statement
We will begin review of applications on January 10, 2022, and continue until the position has been filled.
In accordance with the New York State Department of Health (DOH) order that all hospitals and nursing homes “continuously require all personnel to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19,” Candidates who are not already vaccinated must obtain the first dose of the vaccine within three (3) calendar days of acceptance of conditional job offer and must obtain any subsequent doses in accordance with the vaccine protocol. The order also includes those who may be affiliated with or interact with employees of a hospital or nursing home. The order allows for limited medical exemptions with reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable law.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Stony Brook University, one of four research intensive campuses within the State University of New York (SUNY) system, is widely regarded as its flagship. The University embraces its mission to provide comprehensive undergraduate, graduate and professional education of the highest quality, and its rankings bear that out. It is included among the top 1% of universities in the world by the 2018 QS World University Rankings and among the top 40 public universities by U.S. News & World Report’s 2020 Best Colleges rankings. It is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, composed of the top 62 research institutions in North America. As Long Island’s largest single site employer, Stony Brook has nearly 15,000 full- and part-time employees, including more than 2,700 faculty and an estimated 26,800 students — 17,900 undergraduate students and 8,900 graduate students — and offers more than 200 majors, minors and combined-degree programs. The Department of Athletics supports 18 Division I varsity intercollegiate athletic programs that compete at the highest level within the NCAA. Located approximately 60 miles east of Manhattan on Long Island’s beautiful North Shore, Stony Brook is situated on 1,454 wooded acres, encompassing 13 schools and colleges; a Research and Development Park; world-class athletics facilities, including an 8,300-seat stadium and a 4,000-seat arena; and Stony Brook Medicine, Long Island’s premier academic medical center. Also part of the University is a teaching and research campus in Southampton, New York, which offers graduate arts programs and is the site of the Marine Sciences Center. In addition, Stony Brook has a role in running, and performs joint research with, Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, NY, and the Humanities Institute, with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, Stony Brook sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences and natural sciences.
About the College:
As part of a great research university, the College of Arts and Sciences at Stony Brook University incubates creative work and scholarship in fundamental disciplines, connecting with medicine, technology, public policy, culture, education, the arts, business and environment. As the liberal arts college for the campus, we help students and faculty explore diverse possibilities that exceed their initial expectations and prepare for a lifetime of learning and discovery. http://www.stonybrook.edu/cas/