Research Director, Equitable Futures Lab
Institute for the Future (Palo Alto, CA)
Institute for the Future (IFTF) is a 53-year old nonprofit research and education organization dedicated to helping organizations and communities systematically think about the future in order to make better choices today. We produce research, tools, and experiences that equip people with a foresight mindset and the capacity to envision the future and inspire strategic action. We use a variety of analytical and creative techniques to provoke imagination and invite everyone to consider new possibilities. We work in a wide range of domains–work, education, food, health, technology, and others. We collaborate globally with academics, tech innovators, artists, entrepreneurs, and
leaders that inspire new possibilities and collaborative action.
We’re seeking a dynamic and experienced senior research leader with a depth of content knowledge, analytical skills and expertise in one of the domains at the intersection of work, equity, and economics. A successful candidate may have relevant background in such fields as economics, labor, wealth and racial equity, sociology, urban planning, etc. but with an ability to work across multiple domains to help catalyze long-term futures thinking. The successful candidate will join an interdisciplinary team and lead projects and initiatives that support the success of IFTF’s Equitable Futures Lab dedicated to anticipating and providing innovative solutions to the complex
problems of economic inequality.
IFTF offers a creative environment and the opportunity to work with partners and stakeholders of all kinds, including philanthropy, education, government, academia, civic society, and multinational corporations. Think of this position as your opportunity to actively shape the future!
The IFTF Research Director will:
- Demonstrate content expertise and leadership in one or more areas as described above
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to translate ideas in ways that inspire and facilitate action
- Design experiences and group processes with an eye toward strategic outcomes
- Be entrepreneurial and self-directed
- Bring leadership to the mission of catalyzing change with foresight and having real-world impact
- Work collaboratively and respectfully with distributed colleagues on ongoing research and a diverse set of projects.
EDUCATION + DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum Master’s degree in a related field plus 3-5 years of work experience
- Deep knowledge of a content area
- Innovative thinking and ability to approach issues creatively
- Skilled writer and communicator (required)
- Demonstrated commitment to and passion for the future
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to work across multiple projects
- Ability to learn fast, listen, accept feedback, and work with diverse teams
- Comfortable in a creative, experimental, distributed work environment
- Self-starter with flexibility and openness to new ideas and methods
TERMS OF POSITION
This position is open until filled and is full-time, based in Palo Alto, California, and includes domestic and some international travel. IFTF is currently working in a distributed virtual environment. The position requires communicating presence and the ability to collaborate remotely.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please submit a two-page writing sample of your work.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications without a cover letter, resume, and writing sample will not be considered.
Institute for the Future values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages people of color, LGBT individuals, women, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. IFTF is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Institute for the Future is the world’s leading futures thinking organization. For over 50 years, businesses, governments, and social impact organizations have depended upon IFTF global forecasts, custom research, and foresight training to navigate complex change and develop worldready strategies. IFTF methodologies and toolsets yield uncommonly coherent views of transformative possibilities across all sectors that together support a more sustainable future. Institute for the Future is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Palo Alto, California.