The Department of Sociology and Anthropology at North Carolina State University is seeking an outstanding individual with a strong commitment to academic and research excellence commensurate with the expectations of a major research university, a proven record of effective leadership, and a visionary approach to administration. The Department Head will assist in promoting research, engagement, and graduate and undergraduate education in the department.
The university listing may be found HERE.
Reporting to the Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the Department Head, serving as the department’s academic leader and administrative officer, will be called upon to provide strategic leadership and vision in:
- creating an environment that facilitates an effective shared vision; serving as a thought leader and ambassador for the department, college, and university;
- leading departmental academic, research and engagement activities in the context of a broad vision of the discipline;
- facilitating an inclusive, equitable, and culturally competent environment with a strong commitment to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty, staff, and students;
- promoting and rewarding excellence in faculty research, teaching and mentoring, department, college, and university service, and community engagement;
- fostering a culture of high-impact interdisciplinary collaboration within the college; building partnerships and alliances across the university;
- advancing departmental and college academic excellence within the university as well as relative to peer institutions;
- linking programs within the department to the broader college and university missions; developing external partnerships, when relevant, in support of the department’s mission and goals; aligning and allocating resources with departmental strategic plans and vision;
- demonstrating scholarly and professional engagement & excellence.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- performance evaluations for all direct reports, including annual reviews and recommendations for faculty retention, promotion, and tenure;
- recruitment and hiring of new faculty and staff;
- recommendations for salaries for faculty and staff hires, including new hires, legislative increases, discretionary increases, and retentions; in a fair, equitable, principled, and defensible manner;
- coordination and management of course scheduling;
- curriculum assessment and revision;
- management of the faculty’s committee and service assignments;
- resolution of student academic problems;
- allocation of available space to meet departmental needs
- comprehensive planning of all funding sources in the department using all available funding sources to meet the needs of the department;
- management and administration of fiscal resources, including planning, expenditure of funds in accordance with relevant processes and rules, and execution of fiscal year close out in accordance with college standards
- assisting, when appropriate, the college’s development staff in fundraising;
- external relations with alumni and the community;
- representing the department in college and university-level planning and strategy development.
Inclusiveness and diversity are integral to NC State’s commitment to excellence in research, engagement, and education. We are particularly interested in candidates who have demonstrated experience engaging with diversity through activities such as fostering an inclusive environment, working with students from diverse backgrounds, or incorporating diverse perspectives in research/leadership.
The successful candidate will possess an outstanding record of research, teaching, and leadership accomplishments along with a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Contact: Irwin L. Morris, Search Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org